Monday, March 2, 2009

The Master and the Doorman

So it's been some time since I've posted anything. But I had a really interesting dream last night and thought I'd share it.

I was working the booth in a busy area where lots of visitors were coming through. It was cold outside, and the door beside me was wide open. I decided to run over and close the door. As I’m closing the door the actual doorman comes over and starts trying to not only assist me in closing the door but still trying to bring in people’s bags. As he is hurriedly trying to lift one of the bags it slips out of his elderly hands and fall to the ground twenty feet below. The suitcase burst opens and we hear the shattering of glass. When we look down we can see toiletries and optical items. The doorman is shaken, but goes on and tries to complete his job. I tried to console him in his efforts. “Well, this can’t be the first time this has happened, can it?”
“Yes, it is,” he replies quietly.
“Oh,” I say somewhat sheepishly. “Well, I’m sure you haven’t been here long then?”
“I’ve been working this job now for sixty-nine years…” I stand amazed in the presence of this man who has worked in the same place for so long. But I can still tell that he is very shaken by what has happened. I walk over and find his master, a good man that is worth a few hundred million easily. I ask him if he knows of any glasses that he has no more use of. He points some out to me. I box them up and ask him to follow me. I lead him out to the dock where the old man and I were. Still shaken, the old man tells the master of the drop, looking scared and sorry.
“Do you know how long he has been working here?” I ask as I lift two glasses from the box. The master pauses for a bit and replies.
“No, no I don’t. How long have you been with us? I remember you were here before me.”
“Yes, sir,” replies the old doorman. “I have worked for this house for sixty-nine years.”
“Wow!” exclaims the master, visibly impressed. “And this is the first time you have dropped something?”
“Yes, sir,” answers the old doorman, lifting his head a little.
“Want to commemorate the event?” I ask as I hand him a glass, one in my own hand. He looks at me confused for a moment, and then I throw the glass down to the ground and watch it shatter. The doorman and the master both jump at first, but they begin to understand. The doorman, concerned, looks to his master. The master looks back, grins, and then picks up his own glass.
SMASH!
The doorman now smiles and throws his own glass to the dock below. The sounds of breaking glass continues for a good, long time, and many laughs are shared. When the last glass is broken the three of us stand there for a moment laughing. The master finally looks at the old doorman and says, “Don’t even worry about that suitcase. I have insurance to cover this sort of thing. And it’s only your first drop in nearly seventy years of excellent service. Take it easy.” And the master shakes the hand of the doorman and walks away. The doorman smiles, and goes back to his work.

Sometimes healing comes in the oddest forms and flies in the face of logic. The important thing is to keep yourself open to the Spirit's movement.

No comments: