








So Korean food is pretty much awesome.
I had been told several times when people found out I was moving out here that I needed to try the Korean barbecue. It just so happened that on my second night here, there was a group getting ready to go to a barbecue that night. So I asked if I could join and was allowed. Korean barbecue is done at a table. At each table there is a pit where they place the burning wood. Above each pit is a vent that not only pulls the smoke up but can also continue to stoke the flame. The servers then bring the meat out along with scissors. You put the meat on the grill, allow to sit for a bit, then cut the meat into smaller pieces. The result is incredible.
A few nights later I joined another group to go to a restaurant where they hand make the noodles and dumplings. We ordered a dish called "Ja Ja Myung" (sp?), which is originally a Chinese dish, but I believe with this the Koreans put their own little spin to it. However they do it, it's amazing at this place.
Next up on the menu experience was a trip to a Korean take on Italian food. Once again, a definite score to the Koreans. I tried what was basically Chicken Parmesan from one of the other people in my group: best...chicken...ever... I ordered the Cooked Baby Squid in a Spicy Sauce! It was a great meal (albeit, a little awkward. :) ) To go along with the main dish was an omelet where the rice inside was dyed with squid ink to make it black.
Of course you can't eat with the group on all nights, so one night I needed to eat pretty quick and had to eat on my own. I went walking and found a pizza shop I had been told about, and went in to give it a shot. Amazing pizza. The sauce, the meat, everything. Probably the best pepperoni pizza I've had. Another best: medium sized (8 regular slices) freshly made for $5.
Of course you can't just do Korean barbecue once. This past Saturday I got another opportunity to go, to celebrate some of the current staff as they were getting ready to head home. This time the menu was ribs, and that was an experience. Because ribs are done with the bone, at least at the restaurant we went to we had to put on a cloth glove followed by a plastic glove to try and make sure we didn't burn ourselves from the heat of the bone. Even so, if you grab a rib too soon and hold it too long, it'll burn right through the plastic.
And that's about all so far. Next post: Lotte World

No comments:
Post a Comment