Saturday, September 27, 2008

What You Least Expect

So I've been in Korea now for just over a month, and I find it surprising as I begin to notice the things that I'm missing from home the most. Obviously I miss people the most. I still occasionally find myself wanting to whip out my cell phone and call some people up when something funny happens, or one of the kids does awesome or whatever. Yeah. People are one aspect I miss quite a bit. But since that's a given, let's move on to some other things. :)

Food

One of the things I thought I would miss the most when I came over here was ice cream. I had been told that there is simply no ice cream in most of Asia, and the ice cream available is incredibly expensive. As it turns out, this is not so, at least not for Korea. They actually have Baskin Robbins aplenty over here. Priced about the same, too, I would say. Even the Burger King across the road from me in my apartment has cheap ice cream ($.60 or less!), and it's some of the best vanilla ice cream in my life! (People from Southern Maine reading this, have no fear. Your ice cream remains #1 no matter what.)

No, the food I've craved isn't really what I expected at all. The biggest one would have to be popcorn. In the States I would always have at least 5-6 bags of popcorn at the ready for movie nights. Then, when I decide to sit down to a movie I'd just plop down and enjoy a bowl while enjoying the movie. Don't get me wrong, they have popcorn here, although I don't know if it's as good as the states. No, my problem currently is simply that I don't have a microwave. I opted for the Convection Oven over the microwave. I'm starting to wonder if that was such a good idea for the beginning... Haha!

Another food that is a bit surprising is soda. It's odd because they have Coke here. Even Fanta. ... And that's all. Haha! I miss Cherry Coke! And Dr. Pepper! And Barq's! OOOOO. In the long run, it's for the best. I'm drinking more water and juice now, so that's good. But nevertheless...

As to restaurants, it's not quite as surprising, because I pass this place everyday. Even so, I didn't go there all that much back home and I was expecting different restaurants (Wendy's, Arby's, Rafferty's, O'Charley's, etc.) Nope. The restaurant I'm craving lately is Outback. Outback seems to be wildly popular, and there's one right across the street from where I live. I walk by it practically every day, and each time I just think, "MMMM, Bloomin' Onion..." or steak, or whatever else.

I miss a lot of other things, too, of course, but food is on my mind right now.

And if you're thinking, "Wow. So far only 1 or 2 of these blog posts have not been about food...", I'm hypoglycemic, what do you expect? :) Now FEEED MEEEE!!!

C is for Cookie, and that's good enough for me.

No comments: